Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Bidding

Not a conventional title for this post. But yes, the bidding culture is indeed a way and part of Singaporean life. Or, at least for Malaysians studying in NUS.

In Singapore everything also need to bid one. From COE to subjects that we have to take for each semester, bidding is the way to go.

I would say that on the basis of scarcity of places, bidding is a good way to go. But then, with bidding comes a lotta headache.

The problem is, I have to choose which modules/subjects to bid for. And trust me, it gets a little mind boggling at times, especially with so many modules to choose.

A few modules I have in mind,mostly General Education modules:

GEM2000 Foundations of Real Estate Appraisal. Not a module that Engineering students would normally take. However I find the real estate business in Singapore kinda interesting and intriguing, especially with the Singaporean property boom that has already happened in land-scarce Singapore. Because Singapore is just a small red dot on Earth that cant even be seen from outer space, people are paying a premium for real estate here.

GEK1600 Dynamics of Interpersonal Effectiveness. Another oppurtunity for me to learn about how human psychology works.

GEK1016 History & Theory Of Modern Architecture. Architecture stuff obviously. If you guys didnt know, I am someone who loves looking at houses, and I love the minimalist design. It could also explain my interest in the real estate module stated above, I just thought of that. I am just not sure whether I can d well in it though. Sometimes what you like just isnt what you are good at. Anyone with the same problem? :)

GEK1541 Reproductive Health: What One Must Know. Yeah, biys and gals, it sounds interesting. It doesnt hurt to know more sexual knowledge right. On a lighter note, it could also be the module that marks my "coming of age". The classes are held in the National University Hospital. So weird one. Will only put in a bid for this if all else doesnt work.

It all gets a bit confusing sometimes.

And it does get frustrating at times. When you out in a bid with all the points you have only to find out that some big koko or jiejie has outbidded you just because they can throw their bid points into the system like girls throwing oranges into the river during Chap Goh Meh. I experienced that when I wanted to bid for Forensics last semester. Damn sien one OK.

And whats more, at the CORS website, they show me this:


Module selection and module allocation are mission critical exercises for you as well as the university. There must be fairness, equity and responsibility. As the university advances towards a broad-based education, you will be required to enroll in modules across faculties, and a system must be established to facilitate you and at the same time allow the teaching departments to manage their resources optimally.

It is hoped that a bidding system will accomplish these objectives. The bidding system requires you to make careful consideration of your priorities as each decision has an impact on your future choices - a good training ground to prepare you for life after graduation. It is an opportunity to educate you on the need to weigh your options, make decisions and live with the consequences of your actions.




I feel that the whole evil CORS crew is laughing at me now. =.="

No comments: